Thursday, January 21, 2010

This and that...

Nick has started to learn more about what he will be doing while we are in Mannheim.  As of now he is working in the Plans office for his brigade.  He is working under a major (our sponsor... who is awesome!) and will take over the major's job because he is suppose to deploy soon.  Nick is excited and a little bit anxious.  However this is not the first time he has been placed in a position that is usually held by a higher ranking officer, so I have no doubt he will do a great job.

I have been searching for a job with no luck.  Many of the jobs are contracted out and filled by German nationals.  The school is only hiring subs, and that won't work because of the child care situation.  You have to make reservations at the child care center two weeks in advance, so obviously.  However I think staying at home still won't be too boring.  I have become friends with a wonderful woman named Julie (our husbands will be working together, too!)  and she has shown me lots of different things to do.  She has a 2.5 year old boy and a 4 year old girl.  Her little girl is just wonderful with Clara!  Yesterday she took us to an inside playground called Happy Kids  http://www.happykidsgmbh.de/v02/en/spielplatz.htm  There is an infant section and a bigger kids part.  Clara had a blast in the big kids part (which shocked me!)  She was climbing up the stairs, going down the slides, etc.  Of course I had to climb around with her, but it was a lot of fun!  I will make sure to take my camera next time!  There was mixture of German and American kids, so it was really neat!  I think I may take Clara about once a week.  She literally was not stop in the tunnels for a good hour!  It was great.  The nap she took afterwards was even better though!

Here we have what is called AFN.  Armed Forces Network.  There are no commercials, just public service announcements about the military.  There are also no good shows! haha.  Well, we do get the Daily Show and the Colbert Report a day late.  Which is great because those are probably Nick's favorites.  We also get American Idol the next day too.  So the other wives were telling to me not get online and check to see what happened or it will spoil the show.  Like when every one on FB was talking about Pants on the Ground I had no idea what they were talking about!

We are looking into going on an overnight trip this weekend!  Not sure where yet, but I will take lots of pictures for sure!

No comments: